7.12.2011

"It all ends." HP 7.11.11

Alright, so by posting about the craziness that happened yesterday, my blog posts will be a bit out of order. I'll post my 4th of July/DC experience later this week, but this must be done first.

One of my best friends, Nikki, came to visit me this weekend for the North American Harry Potter premiere. We walked around NYC a lot Sunday afternoon and then made our way towards the Lincoln Center, where the premiere was held. There were already some fans camping out, but we figured we'd still have to get back really early the next morning. After seeing a movie, Horrible Bosses (Hilarious!), we trudged back to get another look. THE PLACE WAS SWAMPED. It was evident that we would have to spend the night.

We ran some errands, grabbed some stuff from my apartment and finally got back to the LC for good around midnight. We figured out there was some sort of system to get wristbands (if you were early, you could go next to the red carpet and the first 50 people could see the movie), but we weren't optimistic.

After sleeping for only 3-4 hours, we got up. There had been a large arrival of people, who weren't adhering to the system, so there was a lot of complaining from some of the campers. Nikki and I just wanted a good view of the arrivals for pictures.

The day was hot, crowded and incredibly long. We were on the second row behind the barricade and by 4 PM, it seemed clear that the wristbands had been a lie. However, we were wrong. Close to 4:30 PM, event officials came around to give out wristbands. There was no rhyme or reason to whom they picked. Within the madness, I got a red wristband, but Nikki didn't. Obviously, I wasn't going to leave her. We had a great view of the arrivals, now that the people in front of us had gotten bands.

It was now nearing 5 PM, when the event would begin. We were getting excited and antsy for the premiere, when another official came over to our group with a silver paper band that read "Harry Potter" (the others were plain). He asked the girl next to us if she wanted it, of course, and after slapping it on her wrist told her, "I think you're seeing the movie." I don't think she breathed for a good minute. We were really happy for her.

So there we were, up against the barricade, waiting for the show, when two female officials came over. "We have two silver bands!" Everyone went crazy. Nikki and I got there attention when Nikki told them we had spent the night and that there were only two of us. WE WERE IN! The security official with them had to hoist us over the barricade due to the insane amount of people behind us.

I don't have to tell you that we were excited to the point of shaking. Security led us to a fan section right on the red carpet across from the press. I had my Polish version Chamber of Secrets (Thanks to Nikki's bacia) and got it autographed by Rupert Grint and Emma Watson. Nikki had her copy of Deathly Hallows signed by Tom Felton and Daniel Radcliffe. We also got pictures of David Heyman, Alan Rickman and Matthew Lewis. Other stars there were, Sarah Jessica Parker, Matthew Broderick, America Ferrera, Mr. Jay, and Michael Chiklis. But the fact that Whoopi Goldberg, Joey Fatone and Melissa Joan Hart were at the last HP premiere was a sign that my childhood of Harry Potter, boybands and Nickelodeon is coming to an end (Also, Sister Act was a favorite of mine growing up).

After the red carpet event, all of us with silver bands were told to head to the AMC Theatre located a block away. Funny that Nikki and I had seen a movie there the day before.

No movie spoilers. But, it was perfect.

We left the movie in a daze. One so strong that we got lost finding the correct subway entrance. While waiting at a crosswalk, I noticed a guy standing next to us who looked really familiar. On second glance, I realized that it was AJ Holmes of Team Starkid (A Very Potter Musical, etc). I introduced myself and we had a really great conversation about New York, Starkid and mutual acquaintances. I was in such a sleep deprived, HP craze, that everything seemed like a dream. He wasn't even in the area for the premiere. He just happened to be at that crosswalk. What are the odds?

So here I am, the next day, typing all of this up and it's clear that everything happened due to dumb luck. What if we had decided not to spend the night? What if we both had gotten red wristbands? What if we hadn't gotten lost trying to find the subway?

Anyways, it was one of the best nights of my life. Let me explain. I read Sorcerer's Stone for the first time with my mom when I was 8. I devoured each book, saw each movie opening night. Stayed up until midnight for the book and movie releases. I've attended a Yule Ball, and teared up at seeing the theme park. Harry Potter has been a constant in my life.

To quote another fan, "We defended the Stone, we found the Chamber of Secrets, we freed the Prisoner, we were chosen by the Goblet, we fought alongside the Order, we learned from the Prince and we mastered the Hallows. We are the HP Generation."

To have been able to attend the premiere, meet the stars and be one of the first Americans to see the movie has been the perfect end to my childhood. I'm about to turn 21 and will graduate from college in December, and while growing up scares me, I've learned from Harry, Ron and Hermione how to be strong, look forward, persevere and not be scared to ask for help. As the posters say, "It all ends."

But then again, to quote the great Albus Dumbledore, "It's not really goodbye, after all."




Rupert Grint



Emma Watson



Tom Felton



Alan Rickman



^This is a photo taken by a news crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment