When last I left off…oh, yeah, Jimmy Fallon’s book signing. A lot has happened since then.
I spent most of Wednesday and Thursday wandering through the Upper West Side. It’s so peaceful and I’m very happy to call it home for the summer. Friday, I decided to check out the New York Public Library to get some writing done. However, being the history nerd that I am, I had to see its museum. Holy cow! It was incredible! Here is a short list of some of the artifacts:
- Beethoven’s sketches
- Final draft of Washington’s farewell
-Botanic Garden by Charles Darwin
- Kepler’s Mysterium Cosomgraphicum (in which he theorizes that the world is heliocentric
- Edison’s phonograph
- The Divine Comedy
- A first edition of King Lear
-Malcolm X’s journal
- A lock of Mary Shelley’s hair, along with a first edition of Frankenstein
-Cuneiform tablets
- An original Gutenberg Bible (I teared up when I saw this. It started the information revolution!!)
That night, I saw Morgan Spurlock’s new film, The Greatest Movie Ever Sold. We’ve always talked about product placement in my Electronic Media classes, so it was great to see how it’s handled business-wise. Afterwards, I made my way to the theatre where Daniel Radcliffe is performing How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. I didn’t get to see the musical, but I stood near the stage door to try and catch a glimpse. Unfortunately, there were so many people, since I didn’t get to see him or John Larroquette, but Robert Wagner came across the street and Kiefer Sutherland just happened to stroll by. No one really recognized him which I thought was odd. I wandered down to the theatre Saturday morning to try again. There was a small crowd gathered. I actually got to see Daniel arrive. Being the Harry Potter fanatic that I am, I was over the moon.
I had to rush back to the hostel to change Saturday afternoon for I had scored a free ticket to That Championship Season starring Brian Cox, Kiefer Sutherland, Jason Patric, Jim Gaffigan and Chris Noth. Jason Patric stole the show as Tom Daley, an alcoholic returned home for a basketball team reunion. His transition between comic relief to full out drama was great. I was really impressed by Kiefer Sutherland’s performance. I’ve only seen him play bad guys or Jack Bauer, but his character was a nerd with horrible nerves. Seeing his change in posture and mannerisms for the character really impressed me. Being a fan of The Lost Boys, I loved seeing Patric and Sutherland play brothers.
I tried to get autographs after the show, but ended up going to the wrong stage door, typical me. Instead, I got to see Lee Pace (I’m a big fan of his from Pushing Daisies), Big Bang Theory’s Jim Parsons and Ellen Barkin. When I finally got to the right stage door, the only actor still signing was Chris Noth. A fan had wanted him to sign a Sex and the City poster. Jason Patric poked his head out the window and made fun of him for it. Noth ended up signing it, even though it wasn’t kosher.
I ended up going out with several people from my hostel last night. Three Aussies and a Scot. We went to this really posh bar/club where you had to buy a $250 bottle of wine to sit down. We didn’t. But, we had fun hanging out and talking at some other local places. We met a really nice police officer, who was off duty, and a bunch of sailors who were very nice (It’s fleet week). I took the time to say thanks when I got a chance to talk to one of them.
As for today, I moved into my apartment and am happy to finally have a room of my own…and air-conditioner. I start my internship of Tuesday and shall report back then.
Daniel Radcliffe
Lee Pace
Jim Parsons
Ellen Barkin
Chris Noth
View from the posh club we went to.
hope to hear about your internship soon :)
ReplyDeleteKeep up the writing pace. You'll cherish this blog forever.
ReplyDelete